Mainly the Sage 300 customization are done using OCX, VBA Macros and the executable. In this blog we are going to discuss what the differences in these two approaches are.
New Stuff: IC Reorder Quantity in Sage 300
Below listed are the differences between customization approaches using OEX and MACROS:
- As the customization using OCX is basically a source code modification rather macro is enhancement to the original functionality without changing its basic source code.
- Macros cannot able to alter the Sage 300 core business logic as well database structure.
- The macros are also called as “upgrade safe” as it does not deal with database specification changes where in case of OCX it may require the long process including installations etc. So the Sage 300 version upgrades or product updates rarely need changes in the macros where as OCX need to be rebuild in that particular version.
- Macro generally minimizes the development time rather than to use the traditional approaches for the customization of source code as the macro can access the Sage 300 session and error handling etc. This helps in minimizing time efforts for the changes.
- Macros can be easily added to the Sage 300 desktop without any changes to roto.dat and grp.dat files where as in case of the customization using OCX requires modification to “roto.dat” and “grp.dat” file.
- Though it takes less efforts and time using macro for the source code customization still it depends on the technical efficiency and the complexity of the functionality.
- However, OCX provides more flexibility in using Sage 300 controls such as accpacgrid etc. i.e. macros facilitates limited control on the Sage 300 objects.
Greytrix a globally recognized Premier Sage Gold Development Partner is a one stop solution provider for Sage ERP and Sage CRM needs. Being recognized and rewarded for multi-man years of experience, we bring complete end-to-end assistance for your technical consultations, product customizations, data migration, system integrations, third party add-on development and implementation expertise.
Greytrix offers unique GUMU™ integrated solutions of Sage 300 with Sage CRM, Salesforce.com and Magento eCommerce along with Sage 300 Migration from Sage 50 US, Sage 50 CA, Sage PRO, QuickBooks, Sage Business Vision and Sage Business Works. We also offer best-in-class Sage 300 customization and development services and integration service for applications such as POS | WMS | Payroll | Shipping System | Business Intelligence | eCommerce for Sage 300 ERP and in Sage 300c development services we offer services such as upgrades of older codes and screens to new web screens, newer integrations using sdata and web services to Sage business partners, end users and Sage PSG worldwide. Greytrix offers over 20+ Sage 300 productivity enhancing utilities that we can help you with such as GreyMatrix, Document Attachment, Document Numbering, Auto-Bank Reconciliation, Purchase Approval System, Three way PO matching, Bill of Lading and VAT for Middle East.
For more details on Sage 300 and 300c Services, please contact us at [email protected]. We will be glad to assist you.